Who Are We
History Flight is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to research and help locate the remains of over 78,000 American service members still missing in action (MIA) from past American conflicts.
- 2003, History Flight was founded. Conducted archival research and site development.
- 2010, recovered 3 U.S. MIAs on Tarawa.
- 2012, located six U.S. MIAs in Europe that were later recovered and identified by JPAC. Recovered one U.S. MIA in Europe and five U.S. MIAs in Tarawa.
- 2013 – 2020, Recovered over 150+ MIAs in Tarawa including Medal of Honor MIA 1st Lt Alexander Bonnyman, Jr. and a total of 12 MIAs in Europe.
- Recovery costs from 2010 to 2016 equal $6,000,000, less that the cost DPAA pays to recover a single MIA in Vietnam.
- History Flight is the most successful MIA Recovery NGO and DPAA Government Contractor in the World with a 93% success rate per site.
What We Do
The 93% success rate in finding human remains associated with American military equipment at loss sites in both the European and Pacific Theaters of WWII have been the result of coordinated integration of the following technologies with historical and archival data:
- Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) Surveys
- Resistivity Testing
- Cadaver dog
- Chemical soil sampling for the presence of human decompositional products
- GIS Services
- ArcGIS Enterprise Server
- Real-time data collecting and GIS app development
- Real Time Kinematic (RTK) GPS and Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) equipped laser total station that delivers search data into GIS with millimeter accuracy.
- Unmanned Air Vehicles (UAVs) for aerial photo mapping of sites that is geo-referenced into GIS and has site data over-layed on the images.
- Forensic Anthropology for human remains recovery
- Historical Archaeology and cultural resource management